Video Widget

« »

جمعہ، 24 ستمبر، 2010

India bribed 72 nations $100,000 each to get Delhi CWG

India bribed 72 Commonwealth countries $100,000 each to get the hosting rights for the scandal-hit 19th edition of the Games which will start in Delhi from October 3-14, a media report claimed in Melbourne on Thursday. A report in the Daily Telegraph claimed that Delhi pipped Hamilton in the bid after offering huge sums of money to the 72 Commonwealth countries during the final presentation in Jamaica.
The report also said that Australia received a kickback of $125,000 from India. “Delhi sealed the right to host the Games when their delegates emerged at the final presentation in Jamaica and offered all 72 nations $100,000 (then about $140,000) each for athlete training schemes if they were the successful bidders,” the newspaper reported.
“The money, subsequently paid to all nations, was not significant to Australia because it had already decided to vote for India and the payment was not an exceptionally large one. “But for small nations who have minimal interest in the Games, it clinched their vote and India went on to beat Canadian city Hamilton 46-22 in the final poll. Hamilton had offered the nations about $70,000 each,” it said.
Delhi sealed the right to host the Games when their delegates emerged at the final presentation in Jamaica and offered all 72 nations $US100,000 (then about $140,000) each for athlete training schemes if they were the successful bidders.
The money, subsequently paid to all nations, was not significant to Australia because it had already decided to vote for India and the payment was not an exceptionally large one.
But for small nations who have minimal interest in the Games, it clinched their vote and India went on to beat Canadian city Hamilton 46-22 in the final poll. Hamilton had offered the nations about $70,000 each.
The news comes as England have confirmed they will go to the Games.
English sports officials agreed on Thursday to send their team to the Commonwealth Games in New Delhi, despite concerns in other countries about the readiness of the facilities in India.
Other nations have delayed their teams' departure as Indian organisers try frantically to complete building projects and bring facilities up to standard in time for the start on October 3.
Though the games were meant to showcase India's emergence as a regional powerhouse, the long delays and a list of scandals have turned them into an embarrassment.
Commonwealth Games England said the decision to go to the games had been taken "unanimously" with the 17 member sports.
In a statement, CGE said its chef de mission in Delhi, Craig Hunter, and his colleagues "are now seeing the improved levels of resourcing which are required to resolve the significant operational issues, but we will continue to monitor the situation daily to ensure the (athletes') Village and stadia are safe and fit for purpose.
"The (CGE) Board continues to press the Organising Committee of the Commonwealth Games Federation for assurances on both the stadia and the accommodation as well as liaising with the British Government. At all times the safety and security of our team is paramount.''

Tags:

ایک تبصرہ شائع کریں